Meaty Vegetable Chili
Spaghetti sauce gives an Italian twist to this chunky chili, which my husband can't get enough of. I always reach for this recipe when my zucchini crop is booming.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Look for brightly colored zucchini that has few blemishes. In general, the smaller the squash, the more tender it will be. Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Two pounds yields about 4-1/2 cups chopped zucchini.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 151 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.