Meatballs in Sweet Clove Sauce
The kitchen is the domain of my wife, Ruth, but she doesn't mind if I want to step in once in a while and prepare these savory meatballs.Bill Cowan, Hanover, Ontario
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 slices dry bread, diced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a bowl, soak bread in lemon juice for 2 minutes. Add egg, onion
- and salt; stir in beef. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; place meatballs
- on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 25 minutes; drain. Combine sauce ingredients; pour over
- the meatballs. Bake 30 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly.
- Yield: 6 servings.