Mashed Potato 'n' Parsnip
"This favorite root vegetables recipe originated with my mother, who loved parsnips," recalls Doreen Saunders of Kingston, Ontario. "I've continued the tradition of serving it for special occasions or Sunday dinners."
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the potato, parsnip and carrot in a saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or
- until tender. Drain. In a small bowl, mash the vegetables with milk,
- butter, brown sugar and salt. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 292 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g protein.