This is a delectable dish that looks as good as it tastes. Mother usually saved this recipe for special occasions, but when she did make it, we sure enjoyed it. The best part is the mouthwatering dressing that even tempted us while it cooked.Mary McGuire, Graham, North Carolina
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, pimientos, green pepper and
- onion; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 4
- hours or overnight. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 103 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.