Marinated Flank Steak
An Asian-style marinade flavors this tender grilled steak from Isabel Fowler of Fairbanks, Alaska. It's an ideal summer entree, but you can enjoy it year-round...just broil it indoors instead.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min. + standing
- 1 beef flank steak (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Score surface of the steak, making diamond shapes 1/2 in. deep. In a
- large resealable plastic bag, combine the remaining ingredients; add
- steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours,
- turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat
- for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness
- (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium,
- 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes. To serve,
- thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3 ounces cooked beef equals 204 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,