Maple-Walnut Ice Cream
When my family has get-togethers, I frequently receive a request to make this scrumptious ice cream. The walnuts make a delicious complement to the maple flavorSandra McKenzie, Braham, Minnesota
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk to 175°. Combine eggs and
- honey. Whisk in a small amount of the hot mixture to the egg
- mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160°
- and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool
- quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream and maple flavoring. Press plastic wrap onto surface
- of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according
- to the manufacturer’s directions. During the last 5 minutes of
- processing, add walnuts. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a
- freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 358 calories, 29 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium,