Maple-Glazed Green Beans
After picking my first green beans one year, I wanted to try a new dish. I began to play. The results were so yummy, I couldn’t stop eating, so I picked more. Guess what happened?” —Merry Graham, Newhall, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in.
- of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion and bacon over medium heat
- until bacon is crisp; drain. Add the beans, cranberries, syrup,
- bourbon if desired, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without bourbon) equals 173 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.