Mandarin Couscous Salad
I help teach a healthy lifestyles program and often share this recipe. Instead of mandarin oranges you can add fresh chopped oranges...or replace the peas with diced cucumber or green pepper.
-Debbie Anderson of Hillsdale, Michigan
7 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover
- and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a
- fork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the oranges, peas, almonds, onion and
- couscous. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar,
- oil, sugar, salt and pepper sauce; shake well. Pour dressing over
- couscous mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 221 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,