- coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and
- salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gently stir in oil. Gradually add
- milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Shape into a
- log. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Combine 1 teaspoon sugar,
- cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- Divide dough into six portions (return five portions to the
- refrigerator until ready to use). On a lightly floured surface, roll
- one portion into a 6-in. square. Place an apple in the center;
- sprinkle with about 1/4 teaspoon reserved spice mixture. Bring up
- corners of pastry to center and pinch edges to seal.
- Place dumpling in syrup in baking dish. Repeat with remaining pastry,
- apples and spice mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at
- 375° for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples
- are tender. Serve warm with half-and-half. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 dumpling with 1/4 cup syrup and 2 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half equals 424 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.