Makeover Hollandaise Sauce
Combining a simple milk mixture with a small amount of a basic Hollandaise sauce helped our Test Kitchen staff create a sauce with only half the calories, fat and cholesterol found in a typical Hollandaise.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a small saucepan, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually
- stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook
- and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; keep
- warm and stir occasionally.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, constantly whisk the egg
- yolk, lemon juice and water until mixture begins to thicken and
- coats the back of a metal spoon. Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle
- in melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in milk mixture. Serve
- immediately. Yield: about 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 68 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 fat.