Makeover Favorite Corn Bake
"My family loves this dish—even my picky 5-year-old," says RuthAnn Clore of West Peoria, Illinois. Our Test Kitchen helped her slash the fat in her recipe for a sweet corn bake with fewer calories but all the flavor of the original.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl,
- whisk the egg, sour cream, applesauce and butter. Stir in corn. Stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads
- 160°. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 211 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.