Make-Ahead Rhubarb Slush
If you're blessed with an abundance of rhubarb each spring, this recipe is for you! Whether you use fresh or frozen rhubarb, it's a refreshing accompaniment for any brunch.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 8 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Lemon-lime soda, optional
- In a large kettle, combine the rhubarb, water, sugar and lemon juice;
- cook until the rhubarb is tender. Strain, reserving juice. Add
- gelatin to hot juice, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a 5-qt.
- container or individual plastic cups; freeze.
- To serve, allow mixture to thaw until slushy. Add 2 tablespoons
- lemon-lime soda to each serving if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.