There's no need to slave away making mashed potatoes at the last minute, not when this creamy, comforting potato side dish is so handy to prepare well in advance. Plus, it's an easy dish for people to serve themselves and it looks so appealing on a buffet.
-Margaret Twitched, Danbury, Iowa
12 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 10 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven or large kettle; cover with water and
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and place in a bowl; mash. Add sour cream, cream
- cheese, 4 tablespoons butter, onion and salt; stir until smooth and
- the cream cheese and butter are melted. Spread in a greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter; drizzle over the potatoes. Sprinkle with
- paprika. Refrigerate or bake immediately, covered, at 350° for
- 40 minutes; uncover and bake 20 minutes longer. If potatoes are made
- ahead and refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes
- before baking. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 262 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium,