- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons rum extract
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract
- until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda,
- cinnamon, salt and allspice; gradually beat into sugar mixture until
- blended. Stir in the carrots, pineapple, walnuts and currants.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn
- syrup and baking soda in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour glaze over hot cakes; cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until
- fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 681 calories, 35 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.