Macaroni Garden Salad
Bonnie Sturgeon of Berwick, New Brunswick enjoys making this delightful salad during the summer. Tomato, cucumber and sweet red pepper are tossed with macaroni and herbs, then coated in a creamy fat-free mayonnaise dressing. Serve it as a light lunch or as a side dish with your favorite meat for supper.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine the macaroni, tomato, cucumber, red pepper, basil
- and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, oil, vinegar,
- garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over macaroni mixture
- and stir until coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 181 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.