Luscious Lemon Muffins
I've had this recipe since my college days, when it was served in one of my foods classes. These tempting, light lemony muffins go well at a luncheon with chicken salad. Even our two middle-school-aged children love to munch on them.
-Mary-Lynne Mason, Janesville, Wisconsin
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugr
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks; mix well. Combine
- flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with lemon juice to
- creamed mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into
- batter with lemon peel.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle
- with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until
- light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out
- clean. Yield: 9 muffins.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 201 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.