Low-Fat Stuffed Mushrooms
"I first tasted these fun mushroom appetizers at a support group meeting for diabetics," says Beth Ann Howard of Verona, Pennsylvania. "I couldn't believe how yummy they were. Since then, I've shared the recipe with friends and co-workers."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound large fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. Chop stems, reserving
- 1/3 cup (discard remaining stems or save for another use). In a
- bowl, combine the bread crumbs, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, chives,
- mayonnaise, vinegar, hot pepper sauce if desired and reserved
- mushroom stems; mix well.
- Place mushroom caps on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray;
- stuff with crumb mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-7
- minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3 stuffed mushrooms) equals 66 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.