Low-Fat Chocolate Cookies
Field editor Mary Houchin of Swansea, Illinois shares these soft cake-like cookies. They have a mild cocoa flavor and are topped with chocolate chips.
44 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil and egg whites. Beat in
- sugars and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt;
- gradually add to applesauce mixture and mix well. Cover and
- refrigerate for 2 hours or until slightly firm.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets
- coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at
- 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Yield:
- about 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 78 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 63 mg sodium,