"When my husband and I developed high cholesterol, I found this wonderful way to convert our favorite pancake recipe," says Dorothy Anne Adams of Valier, Montana. "These pancakes are light, tender and slightly sweet."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In another bowl,
- combine the buttermilk, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. In
- a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking
- spray. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second
- side is lightly browned. Yield: 12 pancakes.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 each) equals 104 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.