Logan's Fried Catfish
Pancake mix and carbonated water are the surprising secrets to these beautifully browned catfish fillets. My grandson Logan can’t get enough of them cooked this way, so I always get to go fishing for more! Serve with coleslaw or sweet potato fries, and get ready for smiles. —Jody Strand, Baker, Montana
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons carbonated water
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. In another shallow bowl,
- combine the pancake mix, seasoned salt and pepper. Dip fillets in
- egg mixture, then coat with seasoned pancake mix.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- fillets, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 fillet equals 475 calories, 34 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.