Liver Skillet Supper
Whenever I serve this to people for the first time, someone exclaims, "I can't believe it's liver!" Around here, that's what we call this recipe, which I devised 12 years ago. Ever since, my family has loved liver. As veteran custom harvesters over the past 25 years ago, we've provided meals for many hungry "hands". This enabled me to develop my dual passions for creating new recipes and quantity
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef liver
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onions, thinly sliced
- Green pepper rings, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel
- to drain; reserve drippings in skillet. Combine flour and half of
- the garlic salt, onion salt and pepper. Cut liver into 2-in. x
- 1/2-in. strips; dredge in the flour mixture, coating well. Lightly
- brown liver in drippings. Add potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with
- remaining seasonings; cook until the potatoes are browned and
- tender, stirring occasionally. Crumble bacon over top. Garnish with
- green pepper rings if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 540 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 278 mg cholesterol, 882 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 29 g protein.