As an appetizer for my Presidents' Day dinner, I reshaped a favorite cheese ball recipe into this log. Rolled in nuts and sprouting herb sprig "branches", it was a fun and flavorful way to honor one of our most famous leaders.
-Mary Beth de Ribeaux, Gaithersburg, Maryland
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 to 3 fresh rosemary or parsley sprigs
- Assorted crackers
- In a bowl, combine the cheeses, onion, Worcestershire sauce and
- celery seed; beat until fluffy. Cover and refrigerate for at least
- 2 hours. Shape into a 7-in. x 1-1/2-in. log; roll in walnuts.
- Insert rosemary or parsley sprigs for branches. Serve with
- crackers. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 101 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.