Lime Shortbread with Dried Cherries
This fresh, sweet-tart cookie also works with dried cranberries and orange zest. I freeze the dough for up to a month. —Abigail Bostwick, Tomahawk, Wisconsin
60 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until blended.
- Beat in lime peel and extracts. In another bowl, mix flour, baking
- powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-in. long roll. Wrap in
- plastic wrap; refrigerate 3-4 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in.
- slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11
- minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire
- racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.