Lemony Sprouts Salad
I'M ACTIVE in co-op Extension work with the university and came home with this recipe, which was presented in a lesson on low-sugar and low-fat recipes.
It makes an attractive dish for taking to a potluck. The lemony dressing makes it different and distinctive.
-Ruth Hastings, Louisville, Illinois
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- Place brussels sprouts and 1 in. of water in a saucepan; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain and set aside. In a small
- skillet, saute carrots in oil until tender; remove from the heat.
- Toss sprouts with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Place lettuce in a
- bowl; top with sprouts, carrots and red pepper. Refrigerate for 1
- hour. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 125 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 5 g protein.