Lemony Acorn Slices
I discovered this recipe a long time ago and have used it often, This preparation is a nice change from simple baked acorn squash. With the skins on the slices and lemon sauce drizzled over them, this side dish looks as good as it tastes. Nell Fletcher, Sedalia, Colorado
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large acorn squash (about 2-1/4 pounds each)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Lemon wedges and fresh mint, optional
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard the seeds and
- membrane. Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends.
- Place slices in a large skillet. Add 1 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining water.
- Cook over medium heat until sugar melts and syrup is golden,
- stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; carefully add the lemon
- juice, butter, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat until
- butter melts. Place squash on a serving plate; top with syrup.
- Garnish with lemon and mint if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2 slices equals 219 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.