- Place raspberries in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish; pour
- hot sauce over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; set aside.
- For whirligigs, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small
- bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and
- half-and-half; stir into crumb mixture to form a stiff dough.
- Shape into a ball. On a lightly floured surface. roll out into a
- 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Combine the sugar, butter and lemon peel;
- spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly roll
- style, starting at a long side. Cut into 10 slices; pat each slice
- slightly to flatten. Place of berry mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes or until whirligigs are
- golden. Garnish servings with cream and raspberries if desired.
- Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 206 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.