Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread
Grace Yaskovic from Branchville, New Jersey picks poppy seeds to perk up her lemony cookies. "A sprinkling of sugar adds a sparkling sweetness," she notes.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Stir in poppy seeds
- and lemon juice. Gradually add flour; mix well. Divide dough into
- four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion
- into a 4-in. circle. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Cut each
- circle into six wedges. Prick dough with a fork. Sprinkle with
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Cool for 4
- minutes before removing to wire racks. Break into wedges when cool.
- Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 183 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.