- mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Using the end of a
- wooden spoon handle, make an indentation about 1/2 in. deep in the
- center of each. Fill with about 1/2 teaspoon of poppy seed filling.
- Top with a teaspoonful of dough.
- Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, butter,
- milk, extract and lemon peel until blended. Spread over cookies.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 163 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.