- center comes out clean.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until
- smooth. bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1
- minute. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks;
- return all to pan. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from
- the heat. Add butter, lemon juice and peel; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually
- add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in cinnamon. Fold in
- almonds. Spread hot filling over crust. Spread topping over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a
- wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 277 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.