- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and
- salt. Stir in water and juice until smooth. Cook and stir over
- medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a
- small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel.
- Cool completely.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on an
- ovenproof serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat
- layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread meringue over top and sides. Bake at 350° for 10-15
- minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool. Store in the
- Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 347 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 319 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.