"As pretty as it is luscious, this sunshiny sauce is a lovely complement to angel food or pound cake," says field editor Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida. "It's just right for a special luncheon."
40 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- Strawberries, gingerbread and/or bite-size meringues
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook
- and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat;
- stir in butter, lemon juice and peel until butter is melted.
- Transfer to a fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with strawberries,
- gingerbread and/or meringues. Yield: 5 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 46 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.