Lemon Easter Bread
This yeast bread is an Easter tradition at my house, but I also bake it other times of the year. While the bread is in the oven, the aroma is fantastic!
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter,
- pudding mix, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in
- enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
- half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf
- pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 214 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium,