Lemon Couscous with Broccoli
A splash of lemon brightens this versatile side dish. It combines whole wheat couscous with fresh broccoli and a sprinkling of almonds on top. —Beth Dauenhauer,
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli;
- cook and stir until crisp-tender.
- Add couscous and garlic; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in
- broth and seasonings; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand,
- covered, 5-10 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 115 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.