Lemon Cheese Bars
Cake mix speeds along the crust and topping for these special squares shared by Janie Dennis of Evansville, Indiana. With just a handful of ingredients, the bars are so easy to assemble. Priced at 11 cents each, they're economical, too.
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, one egg and oil until crumbly.
- Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press the remaining crumb mixture into
- a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes
- or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sugar,
- extract and remaining egg until smooth. Spread over crust. Sprinkle
- with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire
- rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 134 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.