- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter
- with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at
- 375° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly
- touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool
- completely, about 1 hour.
- For sauce, whisk eggs and sugar in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook until mixture
- thickens and reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl;
- refrigerate until chilled.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a
- serving plate. Fold whipped cream and food coloring if desired into
- sauce. Serve with cake. Refrigerate any leftover sauce. Yield: 12
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice with about 2 tablespoons sauce equals 318 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.