Leg of Lamb
"MY MOTHER'S baked leg of lamb, served with gravy and mint jelly, was a masterpiece! Our family always looked forward to having it on Easter Sunday."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 leg of lamb (3 to 4 pounds)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cut five slits in the meat; insert garlic. Combine salt, pepper,
- thyme and garlic powder; rub over meat. Place on a rack in a
- roasting pan. Broil 5-6 in. from the heat until browned; turn and
- brown the other side. Turn oven to 350°. Add 1/2 cup water to
- pan. Cover and bake for 25 minutes per pound or until internal
- temperature reaches 160° for medium or 170° for well-done.
- Remove to carving board and keep warm. Pour pan drippings into a
- large measuring cup, scraping brown bits. Skim fat; reserving 1/4
- cup in a saucepan; add flour. Add water to drippings to equals 2
- cups; add all at once to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes more.
- Slice lamb and serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 22 g protein.