Leek Soup with Brie Toasts
If you're looking for something special to fix on a holiday, look no further. This velvety soup is accented with tarragon, and the toasted bread topped with melted Brie cheese is the crowning touch.Marie Hattrup, The Dalles, Oregon
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 6 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 6 teaspoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 slices French bread or bread of your choice (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a Dutch oven, saute the leeks, mushrooms, tarragon and pepper in 2
- tablespoons butter for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended;
- gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from
- the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Spread one side of
- each slice with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Place Brie on buttered side of
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is