Lamb's-quarter greens taste like mild spinach and are loaded with vitamins. This delectable dish is fine to serve for any occasion.Dorothy Holderbaum, Allegan, Michigan
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped lamb's-quarter (tender new leaves)
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk or 1-2/3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add lamb's-quarter;
- cook and stir until wilted. Cover and remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in salt, pepper, 1 cup cheese and
- lamb's-quarter mixture. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°
- bake 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted near center comes out
- clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 343 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 494 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.