Kidney Bean and Chickpea Salad
In Miami, Florida, Terri Webber picks this zesty salad when she needs a crowd-pleaser that's as close as her pantry. "The dressing blends nicely with the combination of canned beans, tomato and onion," she says. "This salad tastes just as good when It's made a day ahead. I've never seen a bowl empty so quickly!"
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ranch salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, green pepper
- and onion. Cover and refrigerate. Toss with dressing just before
- serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 218 calories, 6 g fat (trace saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 358 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.