Kidney Bean Tostadas
In Sewell, New Jersey, Marguerite Shaeffer prepares these healthful tostadas topped with beans for a meatless supper or lunch. “Simmering the beans instead of frying them reduces the fat while enhancing the flavor,” she notes.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the
- beans, chili powder and cumin in 1 teaspoon oil for 3 minutes. Stir
- in 1/2 cup salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 3-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of tortillas with remaining oil. Place on
- an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until
- Spoon bean mixture over tortillas. Top with lettuce, sour cream and
- remaining salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 tostada equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat,