"My husband and I like this nicely spiced combination on days when we're pressed for time," comments Carolyn Gubser of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender
- Stir in the sausage, tomatoes, water, sugar and seasonings. Bring to
- a boil; add the rice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the rice
- is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage and no-salt-added diced tomatoes) equals 278 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch,