Italian Zucchini Soup
This recipe was given to me by my neighbor. Nice and simple, it's a good way to use a lot of your zucchini and other garden vegetables. It freezes well and is great to have on hand on a cold winter day.
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 pound bulk Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage with onion; drain excess fat. Add the
- next eight ingredients; cover and simmer 1 hour. Stir in zucchini
- and simmer 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 156 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 1,046 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.