Italian Zucchini Boats
“You’ll enjoy these simple stuffed zucchinis with any meal,” assures Agnes Golian of Garfield Heights, Ohio.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 Italian sausage link (4 ounces), casing removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1/4 cup salad croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a
- 1/4-in. shell; set aside. Chop zucchini pulp; set aside.
- Crumble sausage into a small skillet; add onion and celery. Cook over
- medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the
- croutons, 2 tablespoons cheese and zucchini pulp. Spoon into
- zucchini shells.
- Place in an ungreased baking dish; add 1/4 in. of water. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining
- cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: 2 zucchini halves (prepared with turkey Italian sausage and fat-free croutons) equals 174 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.