Italian Sub Sandwiches
I serve these sandwiches for a special party treat. The red and green peppers add color along with flavor.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 submarine sandwich buns (about 10 inches), split
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat just until no
- longer pink; drain. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cover and
- cook for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring
- occasionally. Add tomatoes and oregano. Cover and simmer for 5-6
- minutes or until tomatoes are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, hollow out bottom of roll, leaving 1/2-in. shell. (Discard
- removed bread or save for another use). Toast rolls. Fill with
- sausage mixture. Yield: 8 servings.