Italian Steaks for Two
These tender steaks make a quick and flavorful entree. You'll both love the pizza-sauce topping in this nutritious supper. Mary Hankins - Kansas City, Missouri
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1/2 pound)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg. In another shallow bowl, combine the
- bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cut steak in half;
- dip each piece in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium-high heat for 2-4
- minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for
- medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium,
- 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, heat sauce in a small saucepan. Spoon over steaks;
- sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 steak with 1/4 cup sauce and 1 tablespoons cheese equals 282 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 416 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.