Italian Sausage Rice Casserole
The key to the distinctive flavor in this casserole is the use of Italian sausage. The nice balance of ingredients gives it an old-fashioned taste and it's just the right amount for two.
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a small skillet, cook the sausage, onion and red pepper over
- medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the
- heat. Stir in the rice, basil, soup, water and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 3-cup baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender. Uncover;
- sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 442 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,531 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as