Italian Horn Cookies
My family has been making these delicate fruit-filled Christmas cookies for generations. Light and flaky, they have the look of elegant pastry.
30 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 can (12 ounces) cherry cake and pastry filling
- In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Stir in ice cream. Divide into four portions. Cover and
- refrigerate for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness.
- With a fluted pastry cutting, cut into 2-in. squares. Place about
- 1/2 teaspoon filling in the center of each squares. Overlap two
- opposite corners of dough over the filling and seal. Sprinkle
- lightly with sugar.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes
- or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield:
- about 5 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 157 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.