Italian Chicken Pockets
"My sister-in-law prepared these hearty sandwiches that are filled with chicken, mushrooms and pepperoni," writes Tricia Buss of Telford, Pennsylvania. "My husband loved them so much, he insisted I ask for the recipe."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 3 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in oil until no
- longer pink. Add green pepper and mushrooms; cook until tender,
- stirring occasionally. Add pepperoni and spaghetti sauce; heat
- Spoon into pita bread halves. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 304 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 700 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.