Italian Cheese Twists
My family loves breadsticks, and this recipe was an immediate success. The breadsticks look delicate and fancy, but they aren't tricky to make using prepared bread dough. We love the herb flavor.
-Marna Heitz, Farley, Iowa
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and marjoram
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds and/or grated Parmesan cheese
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square.
- Combine butter and seasonings; spread over dough. Sprinkle with
- mozzarella cheese. Fold dough into thirds. Cut widthwise into 24
- strips, 1/2 in. each. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30
- minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over the twists.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375°
- for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 173 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.