"I make this beef in the slow cooker when I'm having a party so I don't have to spend the whole time in the kitchen," reports Lori Hayes, Venice, Florida. "The meat smells so delicious, I can hardly keep my husband from helping himself ahead of time!" For a robust sandwich, serve the shredded beef on a roll spread with horseradish sauce.
14 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 10 hours
- 1 beef top round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each salt, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, dried parsley flakes and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 French rolls (5 inches long)
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water
- and seasonings; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 10-12
- hours or until meat is very tender. Discard bay leaf. Remove meat
- and shred with a fork. Skim fat from cooking juices; return meat to
- slow cooker. Serve on rolls. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3 ounces cooked beef and 1/4 cup juice with roll equals 386 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.